Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Little A's Toddler room makeover!



Hi there! It's been a while since I last posted but, wow, am I ready to fill you in on all the 'action' while I've been away! Well, not that I was really away anywhere, unless you count moving from one address to another as being away then I guess I have been! =) Mainly, I've just been up to my elbows in redecorating our new larger apartment we recently moved into. It's what you call here in NYC - a classic 6. Basically 2 bedrooms, eat-in kitchen, separate dining room and living PLUS….get this……a maids room! Yup, now we have a designated space for our office/art studio with an actual door to hide any mess (which is mostly my mess!). While exciting, our challenge has been to carefully decorate and furnish all this extra space without creating clutter by only bringing in smart, meaningful items that will not only work in this new space, but also in future spaces.

While moving here meant we gave up our quiet, tree lined street apartment where our daughter was born (literally - we had a home birth!), we needed more space and patiently searched until we found this really rough gem of an apartment. Since my husband and I tend to prefer gut renovated apartment, we had to do our damnest to look beyond the surface of the mess and see it's potential. Ugly moldings, filthy kitchen with suspicious items in the fridge and the bathroom?? Let's not go there, ick. Our reward now is having enough room to stretch out, wiggle our toes and just as importantly, my daughter can practice on her drums courtesy of the solid pre-war walls!

Of all the rooms, Little A's room was the one I wanted to tackle first. She was approaching 2 years old and so I wanted to transition her space from a nursery to a toddler's room. Coming from a teeny tiny room (8'x9') I had painted only one feature wall so I was really looking forward to using one color in the entire room. So after hours and hours (and hours) of obsessively browsing for inspiration through all the nursery/children's room tours on Oh Dee Doh.com, I chose a robin's egg blue color. Unlike her gender neutral nursery decor, this robin's egg blue felt fresh and light and feminine that would declare it - A GIRL'S ROOM!

You'll see that I've mixed old (Fisher Price toys, cabbage posable dolls and vintage clown, etc) and new (curtains, rugs, furniture) in her room but it's still a work in progress and think it will always will be so. I hope you enjoyed a peak into her new toddler's room!


No comments:

Post a Comment